Information We Collect and How We Use It
- Your name, address, social security number, date of birth and certain other information, including information about your home or apartment, such as the terms of any mortgage or lease, the type and location of your home or building and its construction, your living situation, the value of your home and your personal property, and your claims history.
- We use this information to help recommend an appropriate product for you, and determine the appropriate amount and price of coverage, based on a risk assessment of your profile and your property. We may also use this information to contact you.
- Your e-mail address and telephone number
- We use this information as a primary means of communication with you.
- Your payment information
- Our third-party payment gateway, uses this to process the payments for your insurance coverage. We maintain limited information about your transactions and payment information.
- Credit score
- A credit score is a number calculated by a credit reporting agency which is designed to represent your credit risk, or the likelihood you will pay your bills on time.
- Insurance credit score
- This is a special version of a credit score used for insurance pricing. We might access this (it won’t hurt your credit score) to get you the most accurate price for our other products.
- Social Media (e.g., Facebook & Twitter) accounts
- Should you opt to provide this information to us, we may use it as a primary channel with you to facilitate communications between us.
- Usage data
- We collect non-personal information about your use of our Site and our Services in an effort to improve your personalized experience and our offerings.
About Cookies, Tags and Other Tracking Technologies
Cookies and Pixel Tags are sets of information or data that our servers assign to you when you visit the Site, and which identify you as a unique user.
Do We Share Your Information with Others?
While we may share aggregate, de-identified and/or technical usage information with others, we will not share or sell your personal information with or to any unaffiliated third parties for their own marketing purposes.
We may share certain personal information with our services providers or other business partners (particularly underwriting partners) as part of delivering you coverage, during the Claims handling process, to help us facilitate and/or improve the Site or Services, website analytics, or for other purposes that support our legitimate business activities, including providing you with special deals and discounts through our Renters.com Member Benefits Program. We do not, however, share your personal information with the business partners that provide the special deals and discounts for our Renters.com Members for their own marketing purposes. If you redeem any deals and discounts, you may directly provide your information to those third parties, and Renters.com is not responsible for the activities or privacy practices of those third parties. We may also share your information to protect our rights or property or safety, to comply with any court order or other legal process, to respond to any governmental or regulatory requirements, or in the event of a merger, transfer of assets or other corporate restructuring of Renters.com.
How Do We Protect Your Information?
We take steps to restrict access to your information to those persons who must be able to access it in order for us to deliver our Services.
Protection of Privacy for Minors
Our Services are solely for persons aged 18 and older and we take the privacy of minors very seriously.
If we learn that Personal Information has been collected from persons under the age of 18 on or through the Services, we will take the appropriate steps to erase this information. Also, if it comes to our attention that a registered user is a child under 18 years of age, we will cancel that user’s account and/or access to the Services.
IF YOU ARE UNDER THE AGE OF 18, YOU MAY NOT USE OR ACCESS OUR SERVICES OR OUR SITE.